Never Here

Have you written something? Show us here, and help other writers improve their work.

Never Here

Postby Hannah » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:19 pm

This is a short story about two characters that appear in the title I'm currently working on. This scene will not be in the book, nor is it actually relevant to the plot, but it's a bit of insight into Kagami and her personality.
Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Her finger hovered over her phone’s send button.

“Do you want me to drop by tonight?” his message asked, and here she was, with a reply that simply said “Yes” but she couldn’t bring herself to press send. She felt as though she would cry.
She laid her head down between her arms against her desk and closed her tired eyes. It wasn’t late, he could easily come, and she wanted him there, and yet she just couldn’t ask him. She felt lonely, but she didn’t have to be alone.

“Press send,” she murmured to herself with her face still planted against her desk. Her phone slowly slipped out of her hand as she began to doze off.

“Hey, you okay?” she heard a familiar voice ask from behind. She raised her head but looked first at the clock on her monitor’s screen, seeing twenty minutes had passed. With that amount of time, it was obvious he left work and came straight to meet her without her ever even having to ask. When she turned and looked to see him, she leapt from her chair and ran to him. He didn’t hesitate to open his arms and catch her, though he looked surprised. “Kagami?” he questioned as she held him tight.

“I’m sorry,” she said. “I’m just really happy to see you, Seven,”

“You can always see me,” he replied with a smile as he wrapped her up in his arms.

“I know, I just… I didn’t want to ask you to come out here with how I was feeling,” she explained.

“Kagami, you don’t need to ask. I’m happy to come see you, and if you’re upset about something that’s only more reason for me to come. How else can I make everything alright?” he said and she began to smile.

*boop* came the sound of a message. Kagami suddenly realized she was still at her desk. She looked behind herself and saw no sign of anyone. She looked at her monitor and saw she had a new message, and on her desk was her phone with its screen facedown.

“Hey, I’m home,” said the new message which was from Seven.

She looked at the time and it was the same as her dream’s, but he wasn’t there. She picked up her phone and turned it over to see the “Yes” she wrote still waiting to be sent.

She erased it.
Hannah
Global Operations Executive

Return to Writer's Meet